Tuesday, July 1, 2008

TVGuardian

We love to watch movies in our home and a few years ago (before High Definition TV's were really popular or should I say while they were really expensive), Alecia and I bought a new DVD player for our regular TV with a new item called TVG Technology or TVGuardian.

This technology was built into the DVD player and didn't cost anything extra to have it. What it does is filter out foul language. And what I mean by filtering out language is the DVD player looks at the Closed Caption on a movie whether it is running or not. It recognizes a bad phrase or word, then mutes the sound on the TV when the phrase or word comes up. You can change levels of filtering and settings and it will pop up a Closed Caption phrase in place of the muted word, or you can choose not to have that happen.

We LOVED this DVD player. The only downside sometimes was if there were mentions of Christ or God in a movie of a religious tone, and not a taking of the name of God in vain, it would mute the sound. We found that we were losing a lot of important dialog (DaVinci Code was the movie we really noticed this on), so we would have to change the level of filtering or turn it off. Anyway, we really got so used to this that when we watched regular TV, we were really shocked at how many bad words are on there since the TVGuardian we had only worked with DVD movies.

Well, our DVD gave up the ghost a year ago or so and when we went to get a new one, they didn't have any DVD players for High Definition TV's with the TVGuardian. In fact it was hard to find any DVD players with TVGuardian. I chose to get a DVD burner/player that had HD Upconvert. We were never really happy with it and really missed the TVG Technology. I researched on the internet for the TVGuardian and found out the company that does this is not making DVD players with this anymore and the technology is changing so fast for players and they can't afford to keep up with the technological advances. They are however hoping to get TVGuardian available with Satellite and Cable company providers. This would mean we could filter regular TV shows.

Whenever I go to the big box stores, I always look at the DVD players to see if they might have some with TVG. Well, I was in Target earlier this week and found one. The technology was a little different as you had to pay an extra fee to activate it. Thought about it and thought "it's worth it." The DVD player even had a HDMI upconverter for my HD TV. I will be selling my RCA DVD Burner/Player and hoping to offset the cost of the new player.

I got it all hooked up, settings are now different, but got it all worked out and watched Vantage Point. Great movie and even better now that we have the TVG back. It caught every word as far as we could tell. I highly recommend buying TVG technology if you ever get the chance, especially if you want to avoid the bad language from the ears of your children.

Below is a YouTube video on how the filter works. If you don't want to hear the bad language example in this, stop the video before it reaches the end as the filter is turned off then to show you the difference.


No comments: